Thursday, July 5, 2012

Two Months

Today is the two month mark until I leave my home town and meet up with AFS in NY. How am I feeling--devastated and regretful? Or elated and excited? Really, I just feel...impartial.  I mean, of course I'm super duper happy, but I felt like that more so three months ago.  I don't really feel anything now that exchange is so close. You'll hear students say this all the time: when you get right down to it, no amount of preparation, no number of countless imaginative hours, no measure of endlessly official paperwork can ever make you ready for going abroad.  It doesn't matter how many blogs you read, or how well you know the language, you still have no idea what Spain is like.
I guess I'm feeling conflicted.  But, too bad, because what attracted me to AFS in the first place was the fact that you would have no idea what your new life would be like.  The whole "adventuring into the unknown void" thing really appealed to me.
Anyway, my host brother leaves for South Africa on July 11th, my birthday, and will be an AFSer there for two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment