Sunday, August 5, 2012

One Month

Today marks one month until my departure for New York. I guess you could say that it's getting more real. The other day my Father and I went to get my awesome Samsonite suitcase. Seriously, the thing is like armor. And it was half off $380 at the Macy's! I'm attempting a 'pre-packing' packing run. Basically, I'm starting to choose what clothes and belongings I have to leave behind. While it sort of sucks, it's also kind of great, because I'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe in MADRID, SPAIN. Madrid is like, the shopping capital of Europe. Or of Spain, at least.

I've also FINALLY started Spanish tutoring. Three times a weeks for a couple hours at Starbucks, I meet with a girl with Cuban heritage and we go over how to say "I went to the mall yesterday." I know that verb conjugations probably aren't going to help me in the real world, but the tutoring is more for piece-of-mind. I use this company for all of my tricky subjects http://www.peer2peertutors.com/ and they're really great.

I finished my online English class last week, which is nice. No more three hours a day of sitting at my computer, yepee! I get credit for the class since it's from NC public schools. I'm trying to get credit for my year abroad so I can come back and be a junior. I need to take Calculus and Chemistry in Spain, and then maybe Civics and Economics, AP Gov, and some other Advanced Placements online next summer before school. I just reallllly hope I don't have to repeat a grade.

Oh, one more thing. I have no idea where I'll be going to school next year. Most of the other students know, but my host family doesn't know and AFS has sent me no word. I wouldn't be too worried, except that I plan to enroll in Bachillerato de Uno, the grade above the one I should be in, instead of Cuatro de ESO, or whatever it's called. I am concerned because I think these two grades are divided like high school and middle school, and may be in separate buildings/schools. So I don't want to get to Spain and be sent to Cuatro de ESO, because I doubt that grade has Calculus and Chemistry.

Oh, well. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. Just make the most of it, Vivian. You're in the capital of Southern Europe, how bad can it be?

Until next time,
Vivian.

No comments:

Post a Comment